Thursday, August 26, 2010

Organic Almond Shortbread















Sometimes it's difficult to find that perfect, melt-in-your-mouth shortbread. The kind with a light crisp but still has a deep butter flavor that is sweet with a little salt. Agree? I think this recipe really hits the spot. It might be the tastiest shortbread I have had. If not, it comes close. Check out my Christmas shortbread... it's wonderful too! My Coraline Shortbread is great as well (cutest cookie ever!). This little cookie begs to be dunked in a cup of coffee but is also great standing alone. I chose to use all organic ingredients for this recipe to see how much of a difference I noticed and... I did notice a more unique and full flavor. More than that, the texture was terrific and I know that is due to the flour. Organic flour goes through much less processing and makes for softer, more consistent baking.

Organic Almond Shortbread

1 C organic unsalted butter (room temp)
1/2 C organic brown sugar
1/2 t almond extract
1/2 t salt
2 C organic flour

Cream butter, brown sugar and extract for five minutes (it should be pale and fluffy). Add salt and flour and mix until it comes together. Form the remaining crumbles into the dough with your hands and preheat your oven to 350. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll dough out to a 8x12" rectangle and slice into squares/rectangles. Place on baking sheets and pierce with a fork. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool completely.

6 comments:

  1. It was fun to look back at the Christmas shortbread post. These sound like a fabulous shortbread cookie. Is it wrong that I'm picturing them with Nutella sandwiched between them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious. I'd love to try all organic ingredients. Good to hear you noticed a difference.

    I'm with Barbara...hello Nutella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look more like crackers than shortbread - which I like! They look delicious. And yeah, I'll take a few with Nutella, too, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the simplicity of shortbread. I thnk it is my favorite cookie. Must be all that butter. What's not to like?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What perfect little shortbread! Really, there is nothing better with a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shortbread is one of my favorite treats, but it so dangerous to have around because I can't keep my hands off it! I love the brown sugar in your recipe, I'll have to give this a try. Your cookies look like they came right from Scotland :)

    ReplyDelete