Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mactweets Challenge #10 A Summer Flick

This months Mactweets challenge was to design a macaron around a favorite film. Being a total pop culture fiend, I was yet again... excited!!! Although I am late posting (I have good reason... my daughter turned 13 this past weekend, we decided to completely redo her room for her birthday and have torn our home apart in doing so, my baby started kindergarten... these sorts of things have put me behind), I did put a lot of thought into this. I really tried to think of a clever way to design a macaron showing my love for the late John Hughes who created the majority of my favorite movies: Pretty In Pink (my all time favorite movie ever), The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, She's Having a Baby, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Some Kind Of Wonderful, Weird Science plus about... oh... 100 more but I could not come up with one that summed up his genius and someone already did Pretty In Pink macs for the song challenge. What other movies do I love? I love The Family Stone but could not think of a mac to fit it. I love Chocolat but that's too simple. I love Dan In Real Life but again... a mac? Then it hit me. My childhood favorite movie was (well, is) Grease. Grease IS the word.














My macarons are "The T Birds" meet "The Pink Ladies"...

Shells~

1 C powdered sugar 3 T plus 1t sugar
1/2 C almond meal 1 T black Wilton gel color
2 aged egg whites




Lingonberry Cream~

1/2 C butter 3 C powdered sugar
1/4 C lingonberry syrup
2 t pink Wilton gel color

Combine powdered sugar and almond meal in a bowl. Set aside. Beat egg whites until they are glossy and firm then add sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks for
m then add the food color and beat until combined. Fold egg whites into the almond meal mixture with a rubber spatula quickly but gently until completely combined. Put the mixture into a pastry bag and pipe out onto a template. Allow the shells to rest on the baking sheet for 20 minutes then place in a preheated 280 degree oven (I bake mine convection) for 12-15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on the sheet and then on a rack. For the lingonberry cream; whip butter for 5 minutes and gradually add powdered sugar then syrup (it will tint pink) and then the food color. Pipe into shell centers and sandwich together.


12 comments:

  1. I love Grease! I always thought I was a bit to much like Sandra Dee too. The black and the pink is such a fun idea. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Grease too!!! LOL! I love it so much that i kinna influenced my kids as well..my kids grow up watching Grease too! LOL! Even my son..he loves the songs in Grease! LOL!

    Black & Pink macarons are wonderful! I keep missing the deadline..i think i'll be missing the month again..:p

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! Love the theme..Grease is THE word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Great! You always get such wonderful feet.
    Your Macs are lovely again. They are the perfect Grease mac.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I LOVE them! Grease IS the word and you hit the nail on the head! Fabulous! And perfect macs, I should say, too. But black and pink? I want! Oh yay! These will make great Mactweets movie macs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun!! Now I really want to watch Grease and eat Macarons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! Another Utah macaron maker! I always love finding locals. The color combo of your macs is awesome. I haven't dared try a black one but your photos make me want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to say what Cynthia said too - another Utah baker! Great job! I love black and pink! So cute and puffy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever. I love how you tied in so many movies with your pink and black colors, and had the song running through our minds as well. That was such a memorable movie and now a play, how fun is that!

    Can't belive you won't have anyone at home to bake all day with you . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're givin' me chills, they're multiplying, and I'm loooooooooosing control... I could sing this forever. Watched this film in theatres a zillion times when I was in school, and still rock to it! I love it as I love the macs, the colours, the feet! BRILLIANT!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW...weird I just watched Grease last night..I need to try making these now that I am in the mood :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty!! One day I want to make macarons, but they intimidate me... Something about aging the egg whites. Maybe I'll just look at yours, that'll save calories too, right?

    ReplyDelete