Saturday, May 1, 2010

Mango-Lime Sorbet


I love frozen treats. Ice cream (and cones and sandwiches and shakes and sundaes...), frozen fruit pops, gelato, smoothies and... sorbet. I enjoy making ice creams and sorbets a lot and not just in the summer. We had some friends over for dinner a few months ago and I made this sorbet for them. I think it's delicious and it got good reviews from the crowd too. It's simple and fresh and really perfect for the warm months of summer.

1 Cup sugar
1 Cup water
Zest from 2 limes
3 ripe mangoes
3/4 Cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons tequila

Heat sugar, water and zest in a small pot until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool completely. Peel and cut the mango into pieces and add them plus the lime juice, salt and cooled sugar water to a blender and puree till smooth. Pour into a bowl, cover and chill in the refrigerator until completely chilled. Stir in tequila and pour into your ice cream maker to churn and freeze to desired consistency. Transfer to a freezable bowl and freeze until firm.

Watch this video on How To Cut A Mango for tips to assist you.

Photos taken by my sister: Monica Lehman

4 comments:

  1. I love frozen desserts! You will have to come over this summer so we can indulge together. Love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, looks so refreshing! I have been totally craving frozen treats lately. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I love the shot of tequila in there. This would be a wonderful summertime treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a yummy sounding summer dessert! I love the mango in the recipe and the link to how to cut one! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete