Monday, May 10, 2010

Mactweets #7 Tell Me A Story...









The little girl you see here is me, all dressed up and ready to play on the banks of Plum Creek or in Walnut Grove. I was obsessed with the Ingalls family and the stories of The Little House On The Prairie, as a little girl. I read each book cover-to-cover, several times each. I adored this series. I am sure, and can admit, that the television series assisted me in my desire to dress in long, flowered/checked dresses for a year straight. I thought I must have looked just like Laura or Mary... and I was very proud. I would beg my mother to buy me these dresses and we had to do a "spin test" in the store (to make sure the dress spun out in a full circle around my ankles). I used to read these books and imagine myself walking down a dirt path, lunch pail in hand, to the schoolhouse and then running home and jumping into Pa's arms before I had a warm slice of Caroline's homemade bread. I could feel the cold winters in The Big Woods and felt the closeness of their family at Christmastime. These books completely swept me away, to another time and place and I get sentimental just thinking about them. I tried to get my oldest daughter to read them, when she was a bit younger but they didn't quite catch in the same way. They hold a very special place in my heart.

I decided on oat macarons with a maple cream filling. The flavors seemed appropriate. I used a 2 egg white shell recipe and sprinkled oats on the resting shells and filled them with:

Maple Cream Filling


1/2 Cup butter, softened
3 Cups powdered sugar
1/2 Cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whip the butter until very light and fluffy. Add sugar one cup at a time until completely incorporated and add the syrup and vanilla. Whip until very light and fluffy once more and pipe onto the shells.


13 comments:

  1. Oh, fantastic! Oat and maple is indeed so Little House on the Prairie! You are too clever! I love them, so white, so plump, so perfect! And boy thanks so much for sharing these adorable pictures of you as a little prairie girl! Too much, too cute! Yay for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO many memories in your post! On the Banks of Plum Creek was my favorite one! Too bad Jurl didn't quite have the same interest in them. They look great and are very fitting for your chosen theme! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved those books too! I need to read them again, they are classics. Thanks for sharing the photos-so cute. The macs look amazing! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew we were kindred spirits. I love having a fun twirly dress even now. The maple fillling sounds perfect with the oats. Since you've added oats, I think you could eat them for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are just beautiful! Perfect and I love the back-story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oats & maple macarons sounds wonderful! you're so creative! lovely combination! You looked so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love anything maple! These look scrumptious. The oats are a nice twist too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have still not tasted macarons! :( This combination sounds yummy though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You brought back some great memories. I can't even count how many times I ran down the hill at the park, pretending I was Laura in the opening scenes of the show. Beautiful macs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look lovely in your dresses! Thanks for sharing. I can imagine how delicious these taste: oats and maple syrup! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet post. I have a dear friend (the one that came to the store a few times) that also has a great love for Little House and all that goes with it. I love the "spin test". I bet your mac's tasted wonderful, can't ever have enough maple.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Evocative and beautiful post, and what a great great connect to The Little House On The Prairie. I love the old world charm and your pictures. Utterly charming, with equally perfect macarons. Wonderful choice of flavours there... mmmm
    Thank you for joining us at MacTweets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic! I loved Little House! I live the idea if the oat macs, they sound delicious. Love the story as well, beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete