Monday, November 2, 2009

Apple Butter


I posted a while back on jam. My first attempt, in fact. It was a lemon-blackberry and it was tasty, easy and I might be hooked. I decided to try pumpkin butter last month... a winner again! I opted not to post as pumpkin butter seems to be pretty standard. Today I made apple butter... this is a recipe I made up and it is wonderful! I recommend you make it this month. It is such a delicious fall spread and would make a lovely hostess gift for Thanksgiving. I added cherries to avoid the butter tasting too applesauce-like. Use your creativity!

Start with 7-10 fresh apples of your choice.
Peel and finely dice your apples and place into a deep pan.
Add additional fruit of your choice, water, sugar,cinnamon, and any additional flavoring you may be using and bring to a boil.




Once your mixture is boiling, turn your heat down and allow it to simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want the liquid to reduce by about half.You want the apples to drain of their white color and crispness. At that point, add vanilla and simmer another 3 minutes. Transfer everything to a food processor and pulse several times to mash your fruit up really well into the consistency you desire.





Transfer your butter into canning jars (I love the Ball Elite series... they are so cute) and turn upside down to seal. Allow to cool on your counter and then refrigerate.

Apple Butter Recipe

7-10 apples (peeled and finely diced)
1C cherries (or fruit of your choice)
2T cinnamon syrup
1/3C sugar
1/4C water
1/2t cinnamon
2t vanilla



























































9 comments:

  1. Mmm, I love the addition of cherries! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful color! It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, I still haven't made jam since your previous post. This looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know your pumpkin butter is delicious so I am sure this is as well. Apple butter is my favorite on whole wheat toast. Mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love apple butter, and yours looks delicious. I remember one year making too many jars to count and giving them away to neighbors as Christmas gifts. It was a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! This might go on my "christmas gift" list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love anything & everything apple, and am intrigued with this.Yours jars are precious too.Sorry if I've been living under a rock, but apple butter has no butter in the ingredients,right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to do this!that really looks awesome!I really love your recipes here. I actually came across your blog from the foodieblogroll. I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set, Thanks!-Alisa@Foodista

    ReplyDelete