Thursday, October 29, 2009

Creamy Spinach and Fontina Soup



5T olive oil
1 minced garlic clove
1/2 small yellow onion
5C chicken stock
S&
P
2C fresh spinach
2C shredded fontina cheese
1C milk
1/2C cream

Combine minced garlic and onion in a food processor and pulse to combine and finely chop onion. Heat a heavy bottomed soup pot with olive oil and add onion mixture. Saute 5 minutes (until onion is translucent) and add half of the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, add salt and pepper and add remaining stock. Bring to another boil. Meanwhile, pulse spinach in the processor until it is very fine and then add it to the soup pot. Simmer 5 minutes and gently whisk in cheese (in 3 parts). Either transfer mixture to a blender or use your emulsion blender to smooth out. Return to pot and add milk and cream. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently and enjoy.

This is a delicious soup I adapted from the restaurant Tin Angel, in downtown SLC. Theirs is one of my favorite soups ever and I wanted to try making it myself. It's close but not quite what theirs is! This soup is creamy and warm and delicious served with a crusty baguette. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

10 comments:

  1. I love the Tin Angel, never had this soup though. I will have to try it or make it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Tin Angel too! The soup sounds fabulous! Have you had their bread pudding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. barbara,

    i have not tried their bread pudding... is it as wonderful as everything else? :) the panna cotta is to sie for :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, this looks delicious! Especially with that crusty bread, mmm. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Tin Angel is one of my favorite restaurants! And this is the soup I've had there that I loved!!

    THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are welcome! tin angel so rocks! it's SLC's best restaurant... in my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw yeah, the fontina sounds like a fantastic addition! Lovin' it.

    Re. the contact info you asked for, the best way to reach me is dontbeawuss@gmail.com. Thanks very much btw!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been to Tin Angel, but this sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing! Plus, now I don't have to "experiment"! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete