Monday, March 14, 2011

Baked Pear French Toast

More about how much I love brunch in this post. I made this bake over the weekend and wanted to share yet another completely delicious brunch option with you. My husband really enjoyed it and my only complaint was that it was a tad bread pudding-ish. The center was a little soggy but I think that's what one would probably love most about it... just not this someone. It's simple and flavorful and a perfect addition to what you're serving for brunch this coming weekend.


Baked Pear French Toast

9 slices Texas Toast
3 fresh pears
3T butter (plus more for the baking dish)
1/4C brown sugar
2t cinnamon
1t nutmeg
7 eggs
3 1/2C whole milk
1/4C sugar
2t vanilla

Butter a baking dish then toast the bread and cut in half, into triangles. Line the dish with the slices. Set aside. In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the pears cut into cubes and saute' until soft (about 8 minutes). Turn off heat and add brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside to cool. Whisk eggs and add milk, sugar and vanilla. Pour mixture evenly over the bread then pour the pear mixture over that. Cover with foil and chill overnight.

The next day: heat oven to 350, remove bake from fridge and remove foil. Bake for 60-70 minutes then rest, counter top, for 10 minutes then slice and serve alongside something savory and deliciously salty.


10 comments:

  1. Mmm, this sounds amazing! I want to make this for breakfast tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a recipe you can make the night before and just pop in the oven in the morning. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes! This sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take a piece of this, sogginess and all. I can almost taste it with a bit of fresh maple syrup. Yummmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love baked French Toast! I can't wait to try your pear version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think the sogginess would matter if you top this with butter and maple syrup! How delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am not a french toast person but, man! this looks good! love it, thanks for sharing :)
    -meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhhh WOW and I amone of those that is sold on the bread puddingish LOL - this looks great! Adding you to the Queen Bee Picks of the Week - thanks for great YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks fantastic love the addition of pear

    ReplyDelete